Friday, March 29, 2013

Adorable Crochet Baby Hat and Booties: Free Pattern


I obviously have been working on another set for my daughter. I have this pattern for a darling little brimmed hat with matching booties that I just finished up a few days ago and I finally typed it up. It was tooooo cute so I decided I would share.

Again I am no professional and I am still considering myself a novice when it comes to actually writing down the patterns. Hopefully this pattern will be easy to follow for those of you who are risky enough to try it (hahaha). But seriously, if I can do it then so can the average beginner.

This Pattern is in US Terms

Crochet Baby Girl Hat and Booties
This pattern will also work for a boy with a change of colors and no flower.

Materials
Yarn of your choice in two colors
(I used Red Hart Super Saver Yarn in Lemon and White)
Size H Hook
2 buttons
Yarn needle for weaving in ends
Sewing needle for attaching buttons

Terms:
rep: repeat
ch: chain
rnd: round
st(s): stitch, stitches
sl st: slip stitch
sc: single crochet
dc: double crochet

Baby Hat Pattern
*note* ch 2 does not count as first dc in hat pattern and DO NOT join to the ch 2. Also always start each round with a dc in the same space as your beginning ch 2 unless otherwise noted

Rounds will be joined (a technique that I learned) and not done spiral, this allows for an invisible seam (which I think looks much neater).

rnd 1: Magic Ring, ch 2, 9 dc into ring, join to the top of the first dc
rnd 2: ch 2, 2 dc in each st around, join to the first dc
rnd 3: ch 2, (2dc, 1dc in the next st) rep to end of round, join to first dc
rnd 4: ch 2, (2dc, 1dc, 1dc) rep to end of round, join to first dc
rnd 5: ch 2, (2dc, 1dc in next 3 sts) rep to end of round, join to first dc
rnd 6: dc in each st around, join to first dc
rnd 7-9: rep round 6

change color (if you want)

rnd 10 and 11: ch1, sc in each st around, join to first sc

The pattern for the brim and strap I found doing a google search. I do not remember the person's blog that I found it on but I do remember that I had to make some adjustments. There are plenty of free patterns showing how to make the brim if you would like to add one to your hat.


Baby Booties

Materials
Yarn of your choice in two colors
(I used Red Hart Super Saver Yarn in Lemon and White)
Size G Hook
2 small buttons
Yarn needle for weaving in ends
Sewing needle for attaching buttons

Terms:
ch: chain
rnd: round
st(s): stitch, stitches
sl st: slip stitch
sc: single crochet
dc: double crochet
hdc: half double crochet
hdc2tog: half double crochet 2 together
sk: skip

Special Stitches
hdc2tog how to: yarn over, insert hook into stitch, yo and pull up a loop, (3 loops on hook), yo, insert hook into next stitch, yo and pull up a loop
(5 loops on hook) yo, pull through all of the loops on hook.

Booties will fit babies 0-3 months. I will be working on the pattern for other sizes as well.

Sole of Bootie: Make 2 (White)

ch 9, hdc in second ch from hook, hdc in next 6 sts, 6 hdc in last ch
working on the opposite side of the foundation ch, hdc in next 6 sts,
5 hdc in last ch, join to the top of the first hdc
rnd 2: ch 1, sc 6, (2hdc in same st) 6 times, sc 6, (2hdc, 1hdc in the next) 3 times, join to top of ch 1
rnd 3: ch 1, sc in same space as ch 1, sc 6, (2sc, 1sc in the next) 2 times, sc 3,
(2sc, 1sc in the next) 2 times, sc 8 (2sc, 1sc in the next) 3 times, join to top if ch 1
cut yarn and make an invisible join (I learned by doing a pattern from an old crochet baby bootie book but there is an awesome tutorial with photos here)

Top of Booties
Change Color
~note~ start your new rounds at the back of the middle of the sole and work front loops only ~note~


rnd 1: ch 1, sc in same ch 1 space, sc in each st around, join to top of first sc
rnd 2: ch 1, hdc 12, hdc2tog 6 times, hdc 14, join to ch 1
rnd 3: ch 1, hdc 9, (sk 1, dc in the next) 5 times, sk 1, hdc 12, join to ch 1
rnd 4: ch 1, sc in each st around, join to ch 1

Strap
*make strap with as many ch sts needed to fit around baby's ankle, my baby has skinny ankles and tiny feet so I only needed to ch 6 for her*

ch 1, sc 6, ch 6, sk 12 (this will align your strap evenly to the opposite side) sc in next st, sc 8, join to ch 1

finish with an invisible join and weave in ends

Larger Flower pattern for hat can be found here. It is flower number 2

Make two small flowers for booties and one large flower for the hat.

Smaller flower:
Size E hook and Simply Soft Yarn was used

magic ring, secure with a chain stitch
ch 3, 2 treble crochet, ch 3, slip stitch into ring
repeat until there are 5 petals

pull short end of yarn to tighten magic ring

finish off and weave in ends

Attach buttons through center of flowers and place as you wish.

This is a free pattern but I worked hard on it so please don't claim this pattern as your own or post it anywhere else. Feel free to link back to this page because sharing is caring =)

No comments:

Post a Comment